The Mammen Family Public Library serves a 200 square mile community of approximately 33,000 people in the western portion of Comal County, located just north of San Antonio, Texas. The library is part of a library district, governed by a five member elected board and supported by a ½ cent sales tax revenue in the service area, not attached to a City or County.
Our area is rapidly growing and our library is currently under construction. We are expanding and remodeling the library to approximately 33,000 square feet in a one level building. Part of the addition is a 4500 square foot area dedicated to children and teens which includes programming space. We expect the expansion/renovation to be complete in May 2019.
The Mammen Family Public Library is currently seeking a part time Circulation Clerk (8-10 hours per week initially, including nights and weekends as well as some Sunday hours).
As our Library Circulation Clerk, you are the first contact with our library members. Your responsibilities will include:
- Issue new and replacement library cards
- Check materials in and out to our library members and manage issues related to materials
- Help library members learn to reserve materials and request Interlibrary loans
- Manage financial transactions such as overdue fees and book sales
- Sort and shelve materials
- Inspect library materials and make simple repairs
- Update and return electronic equipment, such as computers and ereaders, to circulation
- Maintain displays around the library
- Offer basic guidance to our members in the use of the library catalog, Internet, online resources, and computer software
- Operate and resolve minor problems with equipment such as copiers, printers, fax machines and computer work stations
- Maintain a friendly and cooperative atmosphere
- Assist in library inventory
- Keep the library area neat, friendly and appealing to members
- Perform light maintenance and housekeeping as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Circulation Supervisor or Library Director
Your experience will include a strong background with and a love for customer service and working with people. You will also need high technology skills for working with our software programs and helping members with using our technology. Patience will be needed to work with those whose skill levels are not as advanced as yours.
You must be able to lift at least 25-30 pound boxes and may have to push heavy book carts or dollies. When shelving, you will also be required to place items on lower shelves. Some set up and cleanup of meeting room furniture and other furniture may be necessary, as well as some general housekeeping duties around the library.